About Mahe Island, Seychelles
In the Seychelles archipelago lies its largest island – Mahe Island. Granite peaks found in the Morne Seychellois rainforest and white sandy beaches comprise most of its terrain. Clothing, fruit, fish, and more can be found in the colorful market, while Creole architecture can be found in Victoria, the capital. A 2010 census estimated the population at 77,000 people. The island accounts for 60.7 square miles of land.
Popular Destinations in Mahe Island
Looking for activities once your private jet arrives in Mahe Island? Popular with tourists is the Morne Seychellois National Park, which boasts a peak elevation of 2969 feet. As small as the island is, there are still a significant number of popular attractions, some of which are listed below:
Anse Major: This is reportedly the finest beach on the island. Situated at Mahe Island’s most northwest point, Anse Major is accessible by fishing boat or by a walk over an amalgamation of granite rocks. Tourist police supervise these beaches. Those who wish to snorkel here can rest assured that their belongings will be guarded, and their experience will be exquisite. Visitors can navigate to the island’s southern end to explore picturesque, empty bays. Swimming in these bays is not advisable due to the treacherous currents.
Victoria: The tiny capital of Seychelles is Victoria. Those who wish to explore the whole area will find they can do so in just two hours. Victoria features the Natural History Museum and a replica of London’s Big Ben (appropriately named Little Ben), painted in silver. Small shops are everywhere and, aside from Saturday mornings, the streets are seldom busy. The catch of the day at the outdoor markets may consist of eagle rays, sharks, mackerel, grouper, or red snapper. It’s hard to find fish any fresher than these. The same can be said for the coconuts, mangoes, exotic star fruit, spices, and vegetables found in the market stalls.
Aride Island: Before being discovered by the outside world, Aride Island was the perfect example of a picturesque beach scene: pristine and untouched. Christopher Cadbury, the British naturalist (of the family responsible for chocolate making), bought the island for posterity in 1973. and it is now very highly rated among all tropical islands that have nature reserves. Aride Island contains blue pigeons, fodies, magpie robins, and other land birds that are only found here. The island also boasts an additional one million breeding seabirds. All in all, there are more species of birds on this island than on the other 40 islands combined. Aride Island is only accessible by daily boat trips; no one may stay overnight.
Morne Seychellois National Park: The Morne Seychellois National Park features a variety of exotic but harmless animals: wolf snakes, frogs, fruit bats, and tropical birds. A seemingly Jurassic forest, this national park is exciting but also safe. To experience the Indian Ocean’s finest view, visitors may take the 45-minute walk to reach the summit of Morne Blanc.
Luxury Lodging in Mahe Island
Seeking luxury accommodations once your private jet has arrived in Mahe Island? A unique travel destination, Mahe Island is home to some of the world’s most opulent beachfront accommodation facilities, including:
- Banyan Tree Seychelles
- Constance Ephelia
- Four Seasons Resort Seychelles
- Hilton Seychelles Northolme Resort & Spa
- Kempinski Seychelles Resort
- Maia Luxury Resort & Spa
- The H Resort Beau Vallon Beach
Airports In or Nearby Jakarta For Private Jets
There are only two airports from which travelers can choose to access Mahe Island:
- Seychelles International Airport (SEZ):This airport is located on Mahe Island, and is the main airport serving the Island. Several domestic and international locations can be reached from the airport. Seychelles International Airportsits at an altitude of 10 feet above sea level. It has a single concrete runway designated in the 13/31 direction, and is 9,800 feet in length. The airport has an annual passenger turnover of over 700,000, and cargo tonnage turnover of over 8,000 metric tons annually.
- Praslin Island Airport (PRI): Also known as Iles des Palmes Airport, Praslin Island Airport is located on the Praslin Island of Seychelles, at Grand Anse. The public airport is currently only served by Air Seychelles which has scheduled flights to Mahe Island. Charter aircraft to the other islands are also available. The airport sits at an elevation of 10 feet above sea level, and has a single concrete runway measuring 4,600 feet in length. This is designated in the 15/33 direction. The airport has the capacity to handle up to 1500 passengers daily.
Interested in a Private Jet Charter to Mahe Island?