About Bora Bora, French Polynesia
Bora Bora is a small South Pacific island located in southwest Tahiti in French Polyesia. It is surrounded by a turquoise lagoon as well as a series of islets. In the middle of the island stands Mt. Otemanu, a 727-meter dormant volcano mountain. The island is a popular luxury destination featuring high end hotels and resorts, with some of them perched over the clear water. Private jets are often seen at jetting in and out of Bora Bora as this island is widely considered as a top holiday retreat destination for the rich and famous.
Popular Destinations in Bora Bora
Looking for activities once your private jet arrives in Bora Bora? Bora Bora is home to a good array of tourist attractions. Some of the most popular include:
Vaitape: This is Bora Bora’s main town and wharf. It is home to the Alaine Gerbault Monument which is dedicated to the first Frenchman to sail a yacht all over the world and docked at Tahiti in 1927.
TV Tower Lookout: This observation tower can be accessed by branching off a dirt road between Bloody Mary’s and Bamboo House Restaurant. It offers the best views of the island and promises blue waters that visitors won’t forget.
Matira Beach: It is located at a few minutes’ walk from Bloody Mary’s and is the only public beach on the island. The beach stretches a little over one mile and snorkeling is permitted here. Visitors can also interact with some of the world’s most colorful fish at the coral heads near Hotel Bora Bora.
Moti Pitu Uu Uta: The islet is the private property of Sofitel Bora Bora Marara Beach and Private Island Resort. It is easily visible on the northwestern side of Matira Point from the lagoon.
Fitiiu Point: Fitiiu Point offers visitors a good vantage point to see Mt. Otemamu as well as the Te Ana Opea Cave. There are also two American guns which can be seen from a large black boulder.
Marae Tainapa: This is an archaeological site located on the hillside before the Brasserie de Tahiti. Finding the entrance is not an easy task, so visitors have to be keen to spot the opening.
Marae Fare Opu: Bora Bora is famous for its well preserved maraes. This marae features petroglyphs of turtles that are carved into massive coral stones. Turtles were believed to the favorite of the gods and as such were offered as a sacrifice by carving them into Ahu stones. This particular marae is located on the lagoon side of the stone, a short distance away from the former American Submarine Base during World War II.
Luxury Lodging in Bora Bora
Seeking luxury accommodations once your private jet has arrived in Bora Bora? Bora Bora has numerous luxury hotels and beachfront resorts to choose from. Here are some of the best accommodation options:
- Four Seasons Resort Bora Bora
- Hilton Bora Bora Nui Resort & Spa
- InterContinental Bora Bora Resort & Thalasso Spa
- InterContinental Le Moana Bora Bora
- Le Meridien Bora Bora
- Sofitel Marara Beach and Private Island
- The St. Regis Bora Bora Resort
Airports In or Nearby Bora Bora For Private Jets
Interested in renting a private jet to Bora Bora, French Polynesia? Compared to other locations, Bora Bora has a fewer number of airports. However, it is more than enough to fulfill the necessary flight requirements of private jet passengers.
- Bora Bora Airport (BOB): This is small airport that serves the island of Bora Bora. It can only accommodate smaller commercial aircraft and private jets due to its size. The airport has two runways; one is paved with asphalt and the other with a coral surface.
- Arutua Airport (AXR): Arutua features a small airport that was opened since 1984. The airport is located 8 miles north of the village of Rautini and houses the Air Tahiti airline which provides destinations to Niau, Napuka, Kaukura and Apataki.
- Fa’a’ā International Airport (PPT): This is the only international airport that is located on the island of Tahiti. The airport is relatively small but features five terminals within its main building. The airport is operated by Setil Aéroports and has one bitumen-asphalt runway that can accommodate aircraft that is as big as the Airbus A380.
- Raiatea Airport (RFP): Inaugurated in 1962, the airport is located in the village of Uturoa. The airport is home to the Air Tahiti airline with destinations to Tikehau, Tahiti, Maupiti, Hauhine and Bora Bora.
- Maupiti Airport (MAU): Located at Maupiti, Leeward Islands, this is a government-operated airport that is open for public use. It is situated 15 feet above sea level and contains one asphalt runway designated in the 08/26 direction.
- Moorea Airport (MOZ): The airport is operated by SETIL Aéroports and open for public use. It is located near the village of Temae in northeastern Moorea and serves the island of Moorea. The airport features a control tower and one asphalt runway that designated in the 12/30 direction.
- Mataiva Airport (MVT): The airport is located in the west of Pahua village. It currently houses the Air Tahiti airline and provides destinations to Tahiti and Rangiroa. Since its inauguration in 1999, tourism became one of Mataiva’s top economic activities.
- Tikehau Airport (TIH): The airport was first inaugurated in 1977 and is located 0.6 miles southeast of Tuherahera. Private passengers are recommended to land in the day as there is no runway lighting system on its single paved runway.
- Rangiroa Airport (RGI): The public airport was built in 1965 and is currently operated by S.E.T.I.L. Aéroports. It handles regular and daily flights that connect Rangiroa to other parts of the French Polynesia. The airport is situated seven feet above sea level, and features one paved runway.
Interested in a Private Jet Charter to Bora Bora?